The Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation was established by Calouste Sarkis Gulbenkian’s will dated 1953 and founded in July 1956.
The Calouste Gulbenkian Collection comprises some 6000 pieces. The Museum houses on the permanent exhibition galleries 1000 of its most representative works. A short selection choice of the most outstanding pieces in the Calouste Gulbenkian Museum belonging to different sections are presented here.
Calouste Gulbenkian’s interest in artistic production from Persia, Turkey, Syria, the Caucasus and India, dating from the twelfth to the eighteenth centuries, is very much in evidence here. The numerous objects on display include carpets, fabrics, illuminated manuscripts, book bindings, mosque lamps, painted tiles and ceramics, namely from Iznik.
The Art Library, formerly named General Library and subsequently General Library of Art was created in 1968 with the aim of gathering the collections of the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation. Initially its holdings supported the collection and activities of the Gulbenkian Museum, and included the private library of Calouste Gulbenkian formed by about 3000 titles.
Av. de Berna 45A
1067-001 Lisboa Codex
Tel: 21 7823000
Fax: 21 7823032
Photograph/Text © Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian
JOC provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemption. JOC has made every reasonable effort to locate and acknowledge copyright owners and wishes to be informed by any copyright owners who are not properly identified and acknowledged on this website so that we may make any necessary corrections.